In the newest episode of Everything Speaks, host Lee Caraher sits down with K.J. Dell’Antonia, columnist and contributing editor for the New York Times’ Well Family page, and co-host of the #AmWriting podcast. Together Lee and K.J. discuss career paths and how to land in the job you want. K.J. started out as an attorney, but it wasn’t a fit. She had six jobs in six years on her way to the New York Times.
- If you love doing something, like writing for example, start doing it. Sometimes going from job to job looking for that great fit makes sense.
- When you are trying to get experience, offer your services when you’re trying to just get the experience.
- Don’t give up if you can’t find that great fit. You will eventually.
- If you do not ask for the job, you will not get it.
- Figure out how you can be relevant to the industry you want to be in.
- Plan on having many stops along your career.
- If you can have two or three different sets of ways to have revenue you’re going to have many more options in your career.
- Take a look at the career of someone you admire and figure out where did these people start?
- If you take a professional approach to a creative career you will stand out.
Links & Resources:
KJ on Twitter
KJ on Facebook
KJ on LinkedIn