In today’s episode of Everything Speaks, host Lee Caraher sits down with Lisen Stromberg, award-winning journalist and author, of the book, Work Pause Thrive: How to Pause for Parenthood Without Killing Your Career. Lisen always excelled at her career. She got her MBA, was headed toward a brand manager position with a major consumer packaged good company, and then was recruited to run a division of a large advertising agency. But after the birth of her second child she felt there was no room for her to be a mother in a competitive work environment. So Lisen started a consulting practice working with companies to attract, retain and promote women. She and Lee discuss how we can bring our true, authentic selves to work and contribute to a thriving workplace.
- Expect you will have a nonlinear career. You will change jobs, companies and industries. You will make changes to accommodate your personal life. Plan for that.
- Create a plan for how you will handle your career around life events such as becoming a parent. But know the plan is just the starting place. You will deviate from it.
- Look out 50 years and think about what you want to achieve and use those goals as key anchors to navigate your life and career
- The right company matters close to your childbearing years: you need a good culture, a good boss, and a flexible work/life situation.
- Choose a life partner who will share breadwinning and home responsibilities 50/50.
- Build a foundation by networking. And that means building a strong personal brand too.
Links & Resources:
Lisen on Twitter
Lisen’s website: LisenStromberg.com