Host and Double Forte CEO Lee Caraher sits down with Double Forte alumna Claudia Shapiro to talk about why she decided to change her career. Once a media relations pro with the agency, Claudia made a move and joined the sales team at Nerd Wallet. Lee and Claudia talk about how to identify the signs and how to build the tools that you lead down the right career path.
- Choose a major you love. What you learn will be transferable.
- Get as much internship experience as you can when you are in college.
- Every few years, take an introspective look at your career. What do you want to do more of and what do you want to stop doing? How can you get there? Is it a new position or a new career?
- Move to a new location when you have the chance. It gives you a different point of view.
- Use all of your connections to land that first internship and job. You cannot be shy about applying.
- You do not have to know what you are going to do forever; nobody does.
- Be purposeful about how you build your skill set.
- It’s on you to assess your strengths and weaknesses. Likewise it’s on you to assess how well suited you are in your current position.
- The most loyal employee is the one who leaves when they have lost interest.