In this episode of Everything Speaks, Lee sits down with Shawn Murphy, CEO and founder of Switch and Shift, a consultancy dedicated to developing positive business and leadership practices. Shawn is also the author of The Optimistic Workplace, a book that teaches you how to cultivate a positive work environment. Together they talk about why Shawn believes millennials approach their careers with a different mindset – and why that’s a good thing.
- Organizations need to shift their mindsets to value and implement meaningful work, a sense of purpose, autonomy and flexibility to attract and retain today’s worker.
- In order to avoid disappointment in your first job, before you apply, do research on the company, and specifically, the culture. Indeed, Glassdoor and LinkedIn can all give you clues.
- If you don’t know how to handle a work situation or conversation, then start with that. Have a request and an offer ready.
- When you ask for a mentor, tell them why you chose them, what you re working on, how long you want the relationship to last, and how you envision connecting with them.
- From a performance perspective, you will get more out of employees if they are able to spend time doing non-work things. That’s why work life integration matters.
- If you ask for work life balance, be a trailblazer and make it work! What are you willing to do to accommodate your requests?
Resources: Switch and Shift