Double Forte CEO and Everything Speaks host Lee Caraher sits down with Erin Routzahn, Senior Account Manager at The Penny Hoarder, a personal finance blog. Prior to joining The Penny Hoarder, Erin was happy working at Acceleration Partners, but she was open with her supervisors that she was eager for a new challenge. She and Lee talk about how Erin was able to make a smooth transition from one job to the next and why it’s so important to show appreciation for the people and companies who have made a positive impact on your career
- Career building need not be disloyal to the companies you work for.
- When you find someone who is willing to help you advance your goals, listen to them.
- If you have a strong work ethic and get results, people will help you along your career path.
- Where you work – geography wise – matters. Find your “place” in the world.
- The more you can be open with the people around you, the more likely you are to build a solid reputation that can benefit you for years to come.
- Long transitions are generous and appreciated.
- When you do leave a job, wrap up your assignment in a bow.
- Don’t forget to show appreciation for the people and companies who have made a positive impact on your career.
- It’s up to you to be a person who can be rehired. Start by saying thank you.
- You will run into former colleagues again. Act accordingly.
- You create your own career path. How will you bring people along that path with you? It’s your choice.
- Don’t burn bridges. Period.
Resources: The PennyHoarder