On this episode of Everything Speaks host Lee Caraher talks to Jerry Ervin, President and CEO of Paragon Strategies, a management training company that works with businesses to build effective leaders. Together they discuss success strategies for first-time managers, sharing great insights about how to navigate this new and challenging responsibility. What are the big changes you have to make when you get your first promotion to a managerial role? How do you set clear expectations and earn respect?
Key Lessons Learned
- The shut your mouth and open your ears philosophy.
- Managing friends and peers; why being respected trumps being liked
- You need a 30-, 60- and 90-day transition plan for your new role
- Branding matters: create your own management brand that defines who you want to be as a manager
- You haven’t delegated effectively if you haven’t asked, “Do you understand?”
Consider these words for your managerial brand: